|Where We Came From
In our very brief history, The National Catholic Risk Retention Group, Inc. (National Catholic) has demonstrated leadership in the creation and provision of insurance coverage elements needed to properly cover Church ministries. Some examples (now frequently adopted by other insurers) include:
Further, when National Catholic initiated operations, there were literally less than a handful of insurers that would underwrite nonprofit entity Directors’ & Officers’ (D&O) Coverage, and their premiums were unaffordable. By contrast at the time, National Catholic offered D&O Coverage as a “throw-in” at no premium charge.
- Teaching and Research Laboratory Pollution coverage
- Chemical and Agricultural Drift Pollution Coverage
- Fungal Pathogen Coverage
- Limited Professional Health Care Services Coverage
- Diocesan Review Board Coverage
- Innocent Person Defense Costs Reimbursement Coverage
- Volunteer Attorney Errors and Omissions Liability Coverage
- Computer-Related Liability Coverage
- Sexual Misconduct Limited Coverage (which no one was underwriting when National Catholic first offered its full policy limits for this exposure).
Similarly, athletic participation coverage was virtually unavailable - and absolutely unaffordable - at the time of National Catholic inception, while National Catholic offered full limits coverage with no related surcharge.
Additionally, National Catholic offered Employment Practices Liability (EPL) Coverage from our first day of operation (June 30, 1988). The overall insurance industry didn’t start broadly writing this coverage until around 1994.
Finally, in our entire history, National Catholic’s Board and management have never restricted or reduced previously granted coverage in National Catholic policy forms – we have only expanded coverage terms and conditions.